Free & Reduced Lunch Program

2020-2021 meal application available!

Children need healthy meals to learn. University Academy offers healthy meals every school day. The “regular” cost of breakfast is $2.00; lunch costs $3.10. A reduced cost is available for those who qualify under the National School Lunch Program.

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: University Academy, Food & Nutrition Services, 6801 Holmes Rd., Kansas City, MO 64131, 816-412-5994.

Who can get free meals?
Children in households getting Food Stamps or Temporary Assistance and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?
Please call Brianne Phillips at 816-412-5956 to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

Who can get reduced price meals?
Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart.

Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced meals?
Do not complete the attached application if you have recently received notification that your child(ren) has been certified to receive free meal benefits for the 2018-2019 school year.

I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application. 

Will the information I give be checked?
Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes. You many apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting food stamps, temporary assistance or other benefits. If you lose your job, your child(ren) may be able to get free or reduced price meals.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
You may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Kendall Johnson, Operations Manager, 6801 Holmes Rd, Kansas City, MO 64131 – 816-412-5994.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?
You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income?
If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income. 

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, the University Academy is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Officer of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250, or call (800) 795-3272. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.