Recent Highlights and Happenings at UA!
Posted on 01/19/2017
- UA’s Art program has drawn some high praise. UA has been named a finalist for the 2017 Education Award by ArtsKC regional arts council. DeLaSalle, Fort Osage HS, and UA are the three finalists. The award will be announced on Feb 23rd. Big shout-out to Mr. A and Ms. Hammond and all the students for their amazing work. Click HERE to visit the ArtsKC website!
- Upper School has been nominated by the State of Missouri for the federal Blue Ribbon Award. Just 8 schools per year are nominated. Winners will be announced by the US Dept of Education this fall. The Upper School will need to complete an application and do well on EOC’s again this year to win. All public and private schools in the country are eligible, but less that .004% of schools get this honor.
- For the fourth year in a row, University Academy artists have received acceptance to participate in the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art's No Boundaries Teen Art Initiative Program. 8th grader Joardy Looney and Sophomore Vichelle Johnson are the two UA artists selected who competed citywide for a spot in the program. And for the first time, we have a No Boundaries alumna who is going to participate as a Student Leader to all the new teen artists. This program is an incredible opportunity for young artists to work alongside regional professional artists Jose Faus, Megan Gallant, and Json Myers, and other KC Metro teens over a two-month period. The program culminates in a month-long gallery show at the Kemper Crossroads Gallery. Please give them all a big Congratulations when you see them!
- For the first time, we have a University Academy artist in the 2017 Nelson-Atkins Museum's Photography Scholars Program. Another competitive entry opportunity, Ezekiel Boyce beat out other teens to work alongside museum curators, educators, and contemporary photographer Brandon Forrest Frederick over a five-week period to explore photography and create a thoughtful, personally relevant portfolio. Please give him a big Congratuations!
- The Middle School Debate team is currently ranked #1 in the nation! Congrats to the Talking Gryphons!
- The Upper School was just named a Distinguished Title I School by the National Title I Association. We were one of just two MO schools to get this honor.
- TateAnna Gravely-Moss (11th grade) has just been published by a national media outlet (EducationPost.org). She was asked to be a guest contributor following her performance as panel moderator for the Cheryl Brown Henderson event last month. She did a wonderful job! Click HERE to read her article.